Translate to Your Language

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Canadian Response to Bill C-45

Canadian MP's Responses to Bill C-45




by Justin Usual on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 4:03pm ·








#idlenomoreI emailed many Canadian elected officials and received the following replies. First the form letter, originally posted on idlenomore.ca

RE: Bill C-45

This message is to strongly express that I do not support Bill C-45.This Conservative government is blatantly violating the rights of all Canadians and its Indigenous people. Bill C-45 specifically affects Indigenous sovereignty and inherent rights to the land, and therefore must receive due consideration, consultation and consent from the First Nations leaders and communities in which it directly impacts. The Treaties that were signed between the Crown and Indigenous peoples are nation to nation covenants that cannot be arbitrarily changed through unilateral legislation. Bill C-45 alters sections of the Indian Act and disregards the Treaties without consultation and consent. Upon review of Bill C-45, it is clear that this legislation benefits corporations involved in oil pipelines and nuclear energy, without due attention and consideration given to the impact that it will have on the land and environment. This government has proposed reconciliation with First Nations peoples, yet continues to enforce numerous policies such as Bill C-45 using paternalistic and neocolonial processes. I demand that Bill C-45 be stopped until a democratic process of consultation and consent is duly followed by the various groups that it does impact.

*************************************

Dear Mr. Houle,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the conservative government’s recent budget enactment legislation...READ MORE

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but notice that there was silence from the PC party. Were there no responses from them at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am of Icelandic Descent, the first nations saved my Family clan when we purchased land from the Hudson bay compnay, we worked together to survive and offered assistance for the rights of Native peoples in the Time of Louis Riel I see it as my Family duty to support you now. I am poor, and can only offer but a Voice for your Cause but let it be known for what you did for us over 100 years ago, is not Forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am of Icelandic Descent, the first nations saved my Family clan when we purchased land from the Hudson bay compnay, we worked together to survive and offered assistance for the rights of Native peoples in the Time of Louis Riel I see it as my Family duty to support you now. I am poor, and can only offer but a Voice for your Cause but let it be known for what you did for us over 100 years ago, is not Forgotten. I am also a Direct Descendent of Snorri Thorfinnsson This may mean nothing to you, but it means a lot to Me I may not be Native, but our history is strong going back 1000 years. You have the only weapon I was trained to use, my voice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment and please help spread the word, the time is NOW!